Saturday 27 May 2017


 My millionaire uncle by Betty Muzvare Makoni.

Betty Muzvare Makoni.

A lot of people out there are stuck in life because they always think help comes from millionaires up there. Maybe you can learn from me and my life journey. My uncle was a rich millionaire and one of the first black businessman in Zimbabwe.

He owned half of what has become Makoni Shopping Centre Jamaica Inn in Melfort, Ruwa farms, numerous blocks of flats,night clubs etc When I was expelled for school fèes and I approached him for $30 then I never got a response from him maybe because he was not accessible or he did not believe education was worth funding at all.

Slowly I realised that opportunities do not come from up there. I realised that opportunities I could explore were right where I was. I then got support from a Roman Catholic nun from Germany who paid for my school fees whilst I worked privately at the school.

Moral from this story

Yes we have millionaires at the top. We have the rich and famous and with big names. But also around you there are opportunities which you can explore. There is need to be more creative and innovative. With most girls who did very well and up there, they found an opportunity from me as their teacher.

They wanted $30 for school fees and this is what otherwise what could have stopped them being top women that they are today.So the empowerment programme I founded for girls is very much about putting the power of you to make a breakthrough. There is not going to be a millionaire amongst us for centuries to come but there is going to be community leadership that is creative and innovative about solutions.

We are not going to wait for big donors only but we will keep working with each one of us giving a pound each. When you build your community value your contribution and make sure whatever is there is utilised to the full.I am here because a kind person in the community and not my millionaire uncle. But dont get me wrong here;I am not saying don't ask from the rich. Not at all. i am simply saying community where you live has many good people too.

Muzvare Betty Makoni
Lifetime Achievement Award
Women4Africa-2017

1 comment:

  1. For years I have always lived up to expectancy waiting for people to help me, depending on them! Actually I thought my future was depended on people reaching out to me but lately due to various empty promises leading to disappointments I finally realised that help indeed doesn't come from people who are up there and sorely waiting for help from those so called "blessers" is like slowly flushing your dream down the drain!
    If help help doesn't come I realised it's better to march on slowly towards your dream, you will realise how the so called big fishes will catch up along the way!

    Thank you Muzvare! I'm your homeboy from Vhumbunu, I have seen your work first hand when I was still in primary school! I'm always inspired everytime i pass through your homestead in Njerama, that someone from my homestead has made a difference in this world, I know someday I will reach my full potential.

    ReplyDelete